The Maldives Theia liveaboard – Overall review rating 9.5 out of 10 and 5 stars
If you’re set on scuba diving the Maldives, your next decision is whether you do resort based diving vs scuba dive from a liveaboard. But as you’re reading this Theia liveaboard review, it’s possibly safe to assume you intend to dive from a liveaboard.
Maldives Theia liveaboard review: A review of the Maldives Theia liveaboard reveals a 32 metre (105 feet) custom-built boat for scuba divers. Sleeps 18 divers across 9 cabins with en-suites, air-con and some have sea views. Western and local food served buffet style indoors or alfresco with an air-con saloon and bar. Dive trips of 8 days 7 nights.
Features of Maldives Theia liveaboard
The features that are included with your stay on the Maldives Theia liveaboard are as follows:
- The Maldives Theia liveaboard is 32 metres (105 feet) in length.
- Designed for up to 18 divers across 9 cabins.
- Cabins have private en-suite bathrooms and air conditioning, some with sea views and there’s daily housekeeping and a laundry service.
- Warm water showers.
- A sun deck for those sun-worshippers who like to relax and enjoy sunbathing in-between dives.
- Food includes western style food and is served buffet style and can be eaten both indoors or outside alfresco style, with all day snacks and a BBQ.
- Paid for wine from a fine wines selection and beer.
- Specific dietary requirements can be catered for including vegetarian and vegan options.
- Non-diver friendly for snorkeling.
- Indoor air conditioned saloon with bar.
- Scuba diving facilities include: DIN adaptors, free nitrox available, tech diving, sidemount diving and equipment and scuba gear rentals.
- Camera station and a separate rinse area for your underwater camera.
- Free internet.
- Family friendly liveaboard with family cabins.
You can check the Theia liveaboard availability and prices here.
Maldives Theia scuba diving review
The diving from the Maldives Theia liveaboard has a good review rating and she was custom-built for scuba diving.
On this scuba diving liveaboard, you’ll be in the hands of experienced and professional crew.
Search for your favourite Maldives Liveaboard here:
Table of Maldives liveaboards
This list of Maldives liveaboards is in descending customer rating order, followed by Scuba Diving Luxury Rating (SDE Lux Rating, see below), so the liveaboards with the highest customer rating and the best SDE lux rating will be at the top of the list. If you want to change the list order, use the “Sort by” dropdown below.
|Liveaboard main photo||Discover Liveaboard||Customer Review (Max 10)||SDE Lux Rating %||Flexible Booking||Dive Courses||Dietary Requirements||Nitrox||Gear Rental|
|Review Link: MV Scubaspa Yang; Booking Link: MV Scubaspa Yang||9.6||85%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Emperor Explorer; Booking Link: MV Emperor Explorer||9.6||63%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Theia; Booking Link: MV Theia||9.5||85%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MY Princess Dhonkamana; Booking Link: MY Princess Dhonkamana||9.5||79%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Scubaspa Ying; Booking Link: MV Scubaspa Ying||9.4||87%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Sachika; Booking Link: MV Sachika||9.4||83%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Emperor Serenity; Booking Link: MV Emperor Serenity||9.4||60%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Soleil 2; Booking Link: MV Soleil 2||9.3||96%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Emperor Atoll; Booking Link: MV Emperor Atoll||9.3||77%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review Link: MV Azalea; Booking Link: MV Azalea||9.3||77%||NO||YES||YES||YES||YES|
The Scuba Diving Earth Luxury Rating (SDE Lux Rating) is explained on each liveaboard review when you click the “Discover Liveaboard” link, and is my own Liveaboard Luxury Rating I’ve assigned to all liveaboards. Choosing between liveaboards is helped by customer scores, and if you get stuck choosing between two or three liveaboards, where each one has a high customer score out of 10, you can use the SDE Luxury Rating to help narrow down your choice.
Think about it like using Booking.com when searching for the best hotel. Booking.com also use a customer score where each customer rates hotels out of 10. This is similar to the liveaboard customer rating, which is also rated out of 10. But let’s say you only like to stay in hotels rated 8 and above on Booking.com, but you also want the hotel to have WIFI or parking, or to have a swimming pool etc. The features each hotel has is usually secondary to the score out of 10.
Scuba diving options on the Maldives Theia liveaboard:
Examples of the dive itineraries on the Theia liveaboard.
- Great South Route, 10 Atolls (14 Nights) – 15 days 14 nights trip. Approx. 31 dives in total. Advanced Open Water certification – 50 minimum logged dives required.
- Central Route – 8 days 7 nights trip. Approx. 14 dives in total. Advanced Open Water certification – 50 minimum logged dives required.
- Northern Route – 8 days 7 nights trip. Approx. 17 dives in total. Advanced Open Water certification – 50 minimum logged dives required.
On most of these trips divers will see a variety of marine life. This includes nudibranchs, Napoleon Wrasse, moray eels, large schools of reef fish, eagle rays, various shark species including grey reef and white tip sharks, turtles, manta rays and whale sharks.
You will also get the opportunity on some trips to dive some of the most beautiful shipwrecks too.
You can check the Theia liveaboard availability and prices here.
Maldives Theia liveaboard review by customers
Scuba divers that have stayed on the Maldives Theia liveaboard review comments include:
- Great boat, great crew, great week;
- We were shown the best of “the north” with lots of mantas and beautiful dive sites;
- Great diving experience, a lot of manta rays, sharks and turtles and many other species;
- Enjoying the best of the Maldives above and below the surface;
- Diving with a Whale Shark;
- I’m a newer diver, so to me the diving was spectacular;
- Over the course of the week we saw dozens of mantas, schools of nurse sharks, a ton of morays and a handful of sea turtles;
- Excellent and knowledgable diving guides in a secure and very comfortable boat with very good food;
- Extremely comfortable dive boat with great diving;
- Superb diving experience;
- Fabulous trip to one of the most beautiful places in the world!
Here’s a review by a customer who rated the Maldives Theia liveaboard 10 out of 10 and 5 stars:
Great diving trip. “The diving guides worked hard to fulfill our expectations. The briefings were comprehensive and dives were well organised. The diving dhoni was spacious, comfortable and well organised. All the staff of Theia was friendly and helpfull. The food was excellent and plentifull. The cabin and bathroom was clean and comfortable. This was one of the best liveboard trip I have taken part in. I loved the idea of internal rails and big pegs to dry clothes and towels.” Recommended for: Brilliant diving guides. Comfortable, spacious, well organised dhoni. Food.Anna B, United Kingdom
Video of Maldives Theia liveaboard
I hope you enjoyed this article about the Maldives Theia liveaboard review
I’d love to hear from you. Tell us about your adventures of diving and snorkelling. Please use the comments section below. Please also share your photos. Either from your underwater cameras or videos from your waterproof go-pro’s!
But in particular if you’ve dived either in the Maldives or in particular on the Maldives Theia liveaboard, please share your experiences.
If this article hasn’t answered all of your questions. If you have more questions either about snorkelling or scuba diving (or specifically about the Maldives Theia liveaboard review), please comment below with your questions.
There will also be many more articles about scuba and scuba diving safety tips (and on snorkelling too) for you to read and learn about this fabulous sport.
Have fun and be safe!