The Australia Odyssey liveaboard – Overall review rating 8.7 out of 10
If you’re set on scuba diving Western Australia’s Rowley Shoals or perhaps cruising up the west Australian coast from Mitchell Plateau to Broome to Wyndham, how about this highly rated liveaboard.
The Odyssey liveaboard review is a mix between a dive liveaboard and a cruise ship for non-divers who like to explore.
Australia Odyssey liveaboard review: A review of the Australia Odyssey liveaboard reveals a 24 metre (79 feet) that accommodates 20 scuba divers/guests in 10 cabins with air-con and some have sea views. Local and western style food served buffet style indoors or alfresco with an air-con saloon and bar. Rowley Shoals dive trips of 8 days 7 nights.
The best way to dive Australia is by a scuba diving liveaboard. You can check the latest and best deals on Australia liveaboards using the following window:
Features of Australia Odyssey cabin and deck
The MV Odyssey is a west coast based liveaboard boat. You can explore the West Coast of Australia, which includes cruises to Kimberley and the Horizontal Waterfalls to Broome.
But then as a scuba diver you can experience scuba diving at Rowley Shoals, which are limited trips at certain times of the year between September and December.
Which means that although this boat is custom built for scuba divers, not all cruises on the Prince Reef liveaboard are for scuba diving.
If you’re a diver, check for the trips to Rowley Shoals, but if you’re not a scuba diver and you’re interested in the other amazing cruises along Australia’s west coast, please choose one of the other trips.
The features that are included with your stay on the Australia Odyssey boat are as follows:
- The Australia Odyssey liveaboard is 24 metres (79 feet) in length.
- Designed for up to 20 divers across 10 cabins.
- Cabins are air conditioning and some have sea views and there’s daily housekeeping and a laundry service.
- Warm water showers.
- An observation deck, a leisure deck and a sun deck for those sun-worshippers who like to relax and enjoy sunbathing in-between dives.
- Food includes local and western style food and is served buffet style and as fine cuisine and are eaten indoors or alfresco with all day snacks.
- Both wine and beer are available at an extra charge.
- Specific dietary requirements can be catered for including vegetarian options.
- Non-diver friendly for snorkeling.
- Indoor air conditioned saloon with bar and library.
- Scuba diving facilities include DIN adaptors, a camera station with separate rinse for underwater cameras and tenders for diving.
You can check the Odyssey liveaboard availability and prices here.
Australia Odyssey scuba diving review
The diving from the Australia Odyssey liveaboard has a fabulous review rating and she was custom-built for scuba diving.
On this scuba diving liveaboard, you’ll be in the hands of experienced and professional crew.
Search for your favourite Australia Liveaboard here:
Table of Australia liveaboards
This list of Australia liveaboards is in descending customer rating order, followed by Scuba Diving Luxury Rating (SDE Lux Rating, see below), so the liveaboards with the highest customer rating and the best SDE lux rating will be at the top of the list. If you want to change the list order, use the “Sort by” dropdown below.
|Discover Liveaboard||Customer Rating||SDE Lux Rating %||Flexible Booking||Dive Courses||Dietary Requirements||Nitrox||Gear Rental|
|Review: Shore Thing Catamaran; Book: Shore Thing Catamaran||9.9||69%||YES||YES||YES||NO||YES|
|Review: MY Spoilsport; Book: MY Spoilsport||9.4||73%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review: MY Spirit of Freedom; Book: MY Spirit of Freedom||9.3||83%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review: Coral Sea Dreaming; Book: Coral Sea Dreaming||9.2||62%||YES||YES||YES||NO||YES|
|Review: MY Pro Dive Cairns; Book: MY Pro Dive Cairns||9.2||52%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review: Rum Runner; Book: Rum Runner||9||44%||YES||YES||YES||NO||YES|
|Review: MY Ocean Quest; Book: MY Ocean Quest||9||40%||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Review: MY Odyssey; Book: MY Odyssey||8.6||60%||YES||NO||YES||NO||YES|
The Scuba Diving Earth Luxury Rating (SDE Lux Rating) is explained on each liveaboard review when you click the “Discover Liveaboard” link, and is my own Liveaboard Luxury Rating I’ve assigned to all liveaboards. Choosing between liveaboards is helped by customer scores, and if you get stuck choosing between two or three liveaboards, where each one has a high customer score out of 10, you can use the SDE Luxury Rating to help narrow down your choice.
Think about it like using Booking.com when searching for the best hotel. Booking.com also use a customer score where each customer rates hotels out of 10. This is similar to the liveaboard customer rating, which is also rated out of 10. But let’s say you only like to stay in hotels rated 8 and above on Booking.com, but you also want the hotel to have WIFI or parking, or to have a swimming pool etc. The features each hotel has is usually secondary to the score out of 10.
Kimberly cruise and diving options on the Australia Odyssey:
Examples of the dive itineraries on the Odyssey liveaboard.
- Odyssey Rowley Shoals Cruise – Dive cruise – 8 days 7 nights trip. Approx. 26 dives in total. Open Water Diver certificate required.
- 9 Day Cruise/Fly Broome – Mitchell Plateau: NON-DIVING CRUISE – 9 days 8 nights trip.
- 9 Day Fly/Cruise Mitchell Plateau – Broome: NON-DIVING CRUISE – 9 days 8 nights trip.
- 14 day Ultimate Waterfall Safari – Wyndham to Broome: NON-DIVING CRUISE – 14 days 13 nights trip.
Talking about diving safaris, you may like to read about Red Sea diving safaris and experience some of the best dive sites in the world.
The diving in Australia is varied and interesting with some deep dives, which can be up to 30 metres (98 feet) and there are night dives too. But The Odyssey is about including most experience levels of scuba diver.
On most of these dive trips divers will see a variety of marine life. This includes nudibranchs, potato code fish, moray eels, large schools of reef fish, eagle rays, various shark species including grey reef and white tip sharks, turtles, manta rays and the occasional whale sharks.
Plus there are at certain times dolphins and humpback whales seen there too.
You will also get the opportunity on some trips to dive some of the most beautiful shipwrecks too.
You can check the Odyssey liveaboard availability and prices here.
Australia Odyssey liveaboard review by customers
Scuba divers and guests that have stayed on the Australia Odyssey liveaboard comments include:
- A very special unspoiled place which will always be in my memory;
- Recommended for The diving.Sitting out at night watching the stars.The crew were very pleasant and accomodating;
- Dream trip, exceptional diving experience;
- We also had dolphins swimming at the bow of Odyssey and were lucky enough to see a Mama Humpback whale & her calf up close at Mermaid Atoll;
- Schooling Trevally, the hugest Bumphead Parrot fish I have ever seen, coral trout, angel fish;
- The best thing for me was the stunning isolation, 360 degrees of horizon, turquoise waters;
- Fish – plenty of white tipped reef sharks, grey reef sharks, saw some leopard sharks & a hammerhead was spotted.
To read these reviews for the Odyssey, please click here to read them. If you weren’t already convinced how wonderful this top class liveaboard was before, then certainly after reading them all.
Video of Australia Odyssey liveaboard
This video gives you a feel for the interior of the Odyssey liveaboard. But it also gives you a flavour for the trips on this highly rated boat too. This video shows both trip types including dive trips to Rowley Shoals though.
I hope you enjoyed this article about the Australia Odyssey liveaboard review
I’d love to hear from you. Tell us about your adventures of diving and snorkelling. Please use the comments section below. Please also share your photos. Either from your underwater cameras or videos from your waterproof go-pro’s!
But in particular if you’ve dived either in Australia or in particular on the Australia Odyssey liveaboard, please share your experiences.
If this article hasn’t answered all of your questions. If you have more questions either about snorkelling or scuba diving (or specifically about the Australia Odyssey liveaboard review), please comment below with your questions.
There will also be many more articles about scuba and scuba diving safety tips (and on snorkelling too) for you to read and learn about this fabulous sport.
Have fun and be safe!